Assignment: To write a short story.
This must be your own work. Plagiarism (idea theft) is absolutely prohibited. Borrowing ideas from other stories is inevitable, but originality is important to obtain a passing mark on this assignment. The story must fulfill the following goals.
- The story must have a minimum of 1000 words. Try not to go beyond 15 pages.
- The story must have all elements of a complete short story.
- Show that you grasp the idea of archetypes (studied in our Hero’s Journey Modules) to empower your narrative.
- The story must show evidence of careful editing.
- The story must be turned in by the deadline.
Due Date: Completed short story project is due __________________________ by 3:15. It can be turned in well before the deadline.
Items you must complete and turn in
- A rough draft — due Friday, Nov 18
- A revised draft — due Wednesday, Nov 23
- A revised final draft — due Friday, Nov 25
Topic & Genre
Your story can be about any topic you want and follow any genre(s) or style(s).
Elements of a short story
- Plot (Meaningful sequence and development)
- Characterization (Intentional development of characters directly or indirectly)
- Setting (Time and place, may change)
- Conflict (See notes on conflict)
- P.O.V. (See notes on POV from prior classes)
- Theme (Theme does not need to be overtly stated! The theme [underlying message or statement about life, etc.] should be apparent to a reader if all of the previous elements are carefully thought through.)
OPEN LINKED DOCUMENT FOR FURTHER NOTES, QUESTIONS, AND RESOURCES.