Tell us the title of your favourite childhood story. Briefly recap the story, as well as any details connected to how you encountered this story (for example, was it read to you by your grandma?). Why do you think it was your favourite? How did it capture your attention?
Tell us a dream you remember. Take us into this dream using descriptive language. Write in first-person if possible.
All about effective Twitter use:
What are the elements of film? How can you write a good film review? What do you need to know to achieve this purpose?
Today you will be walking through several tutorials that will help you learn more about the elements of film and how to write a good film review. You will:
- Create a Google Doc titled “Film Review Notes-Your Name”
- Walk through the following tutorials taking notes in the Google Doc as you go:
- Remember as you go through to take good notes. You are SUMMARIZING the information from these tutorials. On your Google Doc write the title of each tutorial and then put your notes in bullet form beneath.
- When you have finished all three, share the Google Doc with Mr. Ketchum AND Mrs. Sowerby. You will be receiving participation marks for the work that you do today and what you put down in the document.
Things to Remember:
- Copy and Paste is fine but then you MUST EDIT!
- Create a Bibliography where you cite the sources in proper MLA format.
- Summarizing is not just copying, it is creating your own set of notes that is not too wordy but contains the important information. You are showing us evidence of decluttering and simplifying.
- You must work efficiently!
DUE DATE: THURSDAY, October 31, 2013
NOTE: You will need to practice self-discipline today. We are going to spend time online listening and reading and interacting with material, and you need to say no to distractions.
Get a Writer’s Inc copy from the shelf. Locate the Music Reviews guide and read the page(s) thoroughly.
Note down in your notebook a summary of what you read about a music review.
Add anything they believe Writer’s Inc. might have missed or could have said better.
On a laptop, visit one of the following sites:
Find an album review and read it twice carefully, taking it in. Take your time. Then journal on the following questions, with the title “__________________ (Album) Review Found on __________________” (web site name):
Does this review contain an effective introduction? Explain why or why not?
Does this review contain an effective conclusion? Explain why or why not.
What is strong about this review?
What is unique about this review?
What could be improved about this review?
Now, find an album that YOU would like to review (any album, old or new). It needs to be one you can listen to beginning to end (you need access to the full-length album). You might try a music site like Grooveshark or Soundcloud. Today is going to be a preparation day. You are to plug in your headphones, find a spot in the classroom away from others, and listen carefully and thoughtfully to the album. Later in the week we will be writing a review. Listen for these things, and begin drafting on your laptop:
- Other information relevant to a strong review. (Might want to research the album…)
This week, two questions:
Which social media platforms do you use? List them.
What do you want to learn about how to more powerfully use social media?
Respond by Friday, Oct 25.
- Today students should begin working on their memoir. This is the last part of their Autobiography Project.
- They should do it in journalistic style. We discussed it yesterday and they each brainstormed in their journals about it for 10 minutes. They should have something to start from.
- Work Completion Schedule:
- Opinion of Me Free Write: Most have turned this in.
- Life Map: Some have turned this in.
- Biography: Some have turned this in.
- Memoir: Start today.
- THIS PROJECT IS DUE ON MONDAY! Time this week should be used WISELY.